DAILY BULLETIN TUESDAY, October 26, 2021
CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL DAILY BULLETIN
TUESDAY, October 26, 2021
REGULAR BELL SCHEDULE
Advisory 8:00 – 8:53
- 1st 8:56 – 9:46
- 2nd 9:49 – 10:39
- 3rd 10:42 – 11:32
- 4th 11:35 – 12:25
- 5th 12:28 – 1:18
- 6th 1:21 – 2:11
- 7th 2:14 – 3:04
Information for Students/Parents:
- Students please bring your early dismissal requests to the office before Advisory ends. Your parent/guardian can send a note with the requested time and a contact number so that the early dismissal can be verified and processed by Mrs. Brown in the main office.
- SCHOOL STORE HOURS IN ROOM 28 Monday – Advisory, 2nd, and 6th periods Wednesday – 8:30am – 8:56am, 2nd, 6th periods Friday – 2nd period
- It’s Asexual Awareness Week! This week the LGBTQIA+ Club will be putting up informational posters. Take a moment this week to learn about and appreciate Asexual identities.
- Starting on Monday students are able to drop in to participate in circle time. It is a time for students to be heard and know that we are here to support them. The Circle will be facilitated by Mrs. Wesley and supported by Joshua Smith, Mr. Johnson, Counselors, and Administration. Attached is the schedule for days and drop in times. Teachers, please share the information with your classes. Starting on Monday students are able to drop in to participate in circle time. It is a time for the students to be heard and know that we are here to support them. The Circle will be facilitated by Mrs. Wesley and supported by Joshua Smith, Mr. Johnson, Counselors and Administration. Attached is the schedule for days and drop in times. Please share the information with your classes. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1szsC-amA08wNHkKF6BfyBa8KHTDtCGGdScfisuqKLDs/edit?usp=sharing
- Do you want to connect with people from various backgrounds? Come join American Students of Asian Origin (ASAO) for our first meeting in the auditorium on Wednesday, October 27 at 3:15pm. You’ll build connections, be part of community service events, and meet new people.
- Are you interested in making art and creating crafts? Art with Heart is a club where we come together to create arts and crafts to give back to our community! On Monday at 3:10pm, please come to room 323 for Art with Heart’s interest meeting where we will also be making friendship bracelets!
- If you are considering a four year BFA program, you are welcome to join for a Zoom presentation by Massachusetts College of Art & Design on October 27th at 1:20 pm(6th period). You can use the Zoom link to participate on October 27th at 1:20pm (6th period.) https://massart.zoom.us/j/7622440589 If you are interested, you can also complete the virtual inquiry either in advance or post the presentation. https://admissions.massart.edu/rgister/CentralHS
- If you are interested in helping us create spaces to talk about Asian American Pacific Islander gender equity and the formation of our cultural and racial identities, then Feminists of Asian Minorities is the club for you! Join us as we discuss and share our experiences with intersectionality and being what it means to be an Asian American in Today’s climate. Everyone is welcome. Please come to our interest meeting on Monday, October 25th in room 211.
- Students looking for a sponsor for a new club called “Letters for Rose,” an organization that writes letters to people in nursing homes. https://www.lettersforrose.org/please email Marcela Siahaan email@example.com
- AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE CLUB Are you interested in learning another language that isn’t taught at Central? Come join and be a part of our ASL Club this upcoming year. The cabinet and sponsors are very excited to have you be a part of this club and to meet you all to tell you what we have planned for this following year. We will meet on Wednesday, October 20th from 3:10 pm – 3:30 pm. The meeting will take place in room 201/203. Please join the google classroom: y6tytyg. Please spread the news to all your friends. Also, please follow us on Instragram@signwithcentral for regular updates! We hope to see you there!
- After school interest meeting for new Weight Lifting Club. Interest meeting on Thursday after school in Room 50. The club would be officially called Fundamentals of Weight Training and will meet on Monday and Wednesday mornings at 7:00am in the GX room.
- All freshmen interested in baseball please contact Jeff Bracciale who is a proud member of Class 247 and the junior varsity baseball coach at Central at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NHS Tutoring is before school and after school next week. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HLAGZlIH6DjPjE5Q6yIYzSXQXd8Sg8TAmgSCkpzuL08/edit?usp=sharing ~ use this link to access.
- If you are hoping to learn more about Korean Culture, come to the interest meeting with the Korean Student Association. The meeting will be in Room 204 on Wednesday, October 13, afterschool for more information about joining.
- Please join the CIA ( Caribbeans In Action). We meet on Tuesdays in room 309 for returning and interested members.
- Franklin Institute STEM Scholars Program: 9th grade students who are passionate about science! The Franklin Institute runs a FREE four-year program (with paid internship opportunities). The program includes STEM career immersion experiences, Informal/formal science experiences, Personal profile management, College preparation, including SAT/ACT tutoring, Career and technical education, Entrepreneurial education and experiences, Paid research experiences. Find information and the application here: https://www.fi.edu/stem-scholars-program Applications require a letter of recommendation and are due November 15th!
- Are you interested in graphic novels? Do you like to draw or write and hope to bring these arts together? We are having an interest meeting for the newly formed GRAPHIC NOVEL CLUB. The meeting will be in Room 8 after school on Thursday this week.
- Boys interested in the Boy’s Volleyball team should see Mr. Leong in room 125 to get important information.
- CHS Film Club meets on Fridays after school in rm. 307. Interested students should join us there.
- Any student interested in joining the wrestling team please email Mr. Julien(email@example.com)
- The Science Olympiad Club meets on Tuesdays if you have any other questions they can be directed to Mr. Fitzgerald.
- Interested in learning more about and joining the CHS Computer Science Honor Society questions can be directed to Mrs. Lamborn in rm. 120.
- The mission of Central’s African American Student Union is to support the development of all Black students at Central through providing a safe space for fun, activism, and more! Feel free to DM the AASU Instagram page @chs.aasu for more information and meeting days.
- Do you know how to manage your money? Do you want to learn how to be financially responsible? ECSIR (Economic Career Self Improvement Research) is a club that aims to teach students about personal finance, career options, and self-improvement through research. Students can expect to explore credit cards, investing, taxes, and good habits to pick up ECSIR will be meeting every Monday, after school in room 227 from 3:00 pm – 3:15pm.
- Science Tutoring is starting! Tutoring takes place Tuesdays & Thursdays 7:30 – 8:00am & 3:10-4:00pm in room 099. Come with questions or no idea where to start….we’re here to help! (Ms. Cohen firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Any student interested in joining the bowling teams, should see Mr. Johns in the Gym office Room #060. The season will start in December.
- This announcement is for girls interested in playing Girls Varsity or JV Basketball. Please see Ms. Wesley in room 313 if you missed the information meeting. Athletes who attended the meeting please return your completed PIAA physical as soon as possible to Ms. Wesley in room 313.
- Freshman & Sophomore Tea Dates Freshman Tea -11/8/2021 ~ Sophomore Tea – 11/15/2021.
- The Main Office is looking for community service workers for 1-pd, 2-pd, 3-pd. Please see Mrs. Flowers in the main office if interested.
- The CYA Central Yoga Association club will be meet every Wednesday at 3:15pm in the auditorium .
- The Central Math Club will meets every Thursday after school in rm. 95. If you like challenging math problems and want to participate in multiple national and international competitions, welcome to the club. Math is fun!~Mr. Ovetsky
- Interested in climate action and community service? Join SEAS, the Student Environmental Action Society! SEAS aims to educate and empower students to take part in their respective communities to work towards conservation and sustainability. There will be many opportunities to strengthen Central’s sustainability measures and promote environmental health in our school community. Meetings are on Thursdays after school in room 403 and will likely go outside to start work cataloging Central’s trees and quantifying the value they provide. DM@seas.chs on Instagram or email Ms. Cohen email@example.com about any questions!
- The Drama Society of Central High School will meet every Monday and Tuesday after school in room 305 – Mr. Burns
- UNHEARD meets every Monday in room 3 at 3:20pm with Mrs. Durkee. Anyone interested in joining UNHEARD, which stands for: Uprooting Negligence and Habituating Equity and ANTI-Racism through Real Discussion is welcome to join.
- Costume Design meets every Tuesday in room 3 at 3:20pm with Mrs. Durkee.
- LGBT+Club Thursdays, 3:15 – 4:00 PM Thursdays, in Rm. 406
- Dungeons and Dragons Club 3:15-4:00 PM, Thursdays in Rm. 403
- Join the Central Voter Engagement Team! Help get Central students to register to vote and share information about upcoming elections. Learn about opportunities to work the polls on Election Day and help increase youth voter engagement and political involvement citywide, and even run for office yourself! Meetings are held on Mondays in Room 307.
- Parent Information: If you need help with the parent portal please go to https://centralhs.philasd,org-2/parent-portal-information/
- Mirror, Central’s art and literary magazine, is up and running for this school year. We are distributing last year’s Mirror publication to all advisors this week. Students, you are invited to submit your art and poetry for publication. Look out for signs in your English classrooms that have QR code to submit your work online. All students are invited to join us in reviewing submissions at our Mirror staff meetings on Tuesdays after school in room 108. The first staff meeting will be held on Tuesday, 10/5.
- Information for Central Staff:
- Please remember fire drills are scheduled every month. A Lockdown drill is scheduled for this week. Staff please review your Safety Protocols with your students every class period.
- Reminder send your Daily Bulletin Request to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12 noon daily in order for your information to be in the bulletin the next day.
Strive for excellence, not perfection. ~ Life’s Little Instruction Calendar Classics