DAILY BULLETIN MONDAY, April 25, 2022
CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL DAILY BULLETIN
MONDAY, April 25, 2022
REGULAR BELL SCHEDULE
Advisory: 8:00 – 8:53
1st Period: 8:56 – 9:46
2nd Period: 9:49 – 10:39
3rd Period: 10:42 – 11:32
4th Period: 11:35 – 12:25
5th Period: 12:28 – 1:18
6th Period: 1:21 – 2:11
7th Period: 2:14 – 3:04
Information for Students/Parents:
Students please bring your early dismissal requests to the office before Advisory ends. Your parent/guardian can send a note with the requested time and a contact number so that the early dismissal can be verified and processed by Mrs. Brown in the Main office.
Procedures for Early Dismissals are listed in the Student Handbook on page 19. Please follow those directions in order to avoid any delay in your student’s Early Dismissal.
- SCHOOL STORE HOURS IN ROOM 28 Monday – Advisory, 2nd, and 6th periods Wednesday – 8:30am – 8:56am, 2nd, and 6th periods Friday – 2nd period
- The Central Home and School Fundraising Committee is currently seeking donations to be sold during this year’s Central Auction. All students interested in donating items to the Auction are encouraged to do so. Please reach out to Ritta L. Robinson via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Penn Laboratory Experiences in Natural Sciences (PennLENS) June 21 – July 22, 2022 $1,500 stipend Current 10th & 11th graders can apply to do original research at UPenn this summer. Application due May 31 with interview on a rolling basis. Priority given to students historically underrepresented/excluded in the sciences. https: //apply.interfolio.com/103231 See Ms. Cohen (email@example.com, room 83) with questions/help on application.
- Would you like to work directly with Central’s art collection? You can learn more about the art objects, help with the database, and learn how to care for the Central’s art collection. This would be a possible community service opportunity. We’ll be meeting after school on Tuesdays in Room 8 for anyone who might be interested. Questions? Email Ms. Keefe at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Any Female student who is interested in joining the Badminton team should see Mr. Johns in the gym office #060. The 1st Practice began on March 1st.
- 281’s first blood drive held on Tuesday was a great success!! Thank you to everyone who participated in our drive. Your cooperation and participation resulted in the collection of 89 pints of blood, which can save up to 267 lives! We will be hosting a second drive on April 27th and hope to see more of you there!
- Tryouts for Boys Varsity Volleyball took place on Friday 2/25 after school in the main gym. Athletes must be vaccinated and have a completed PIAA medical form. See Mr. Leong in room 125 if you have any questions.
- The following is the Baseball Google Classroom Code (ypujxf4). Players please use this code to upload your Proof of Vaccination unto the Google classroom ASAP. Coach Jeff Bracciale who is a proud member of Class 247 and the junior varsity baseball coach at Central. His contact information is email@example.com
- Anyone interested in joining the girls tennis team in the Fall see Mr. Graham in rm 205.
- PAID SUMMER SCIENCE INTERNSHIP FOR JUNIORS:
The Science Preparatory Research Opportunities for Underrepresented Teens (SPROUT) aims to provide students with low socioeconomic status early exposure to graduate-level research education, improve the research enterprise through increased diversity, and prepare and recruit passionate students to Temple University’s College of Science and Technology. Students will receive hands-on research training, mentorship from an established investigator, participation in skill-building workshops, and present research at a symposium in addition to a stipend of $1,000.00. Transportation will also be provided.
For more information on the SPROUT Program, please visit https://sites.temple.edu/sprout/. You can click here to view the previous projects conducted by the 2021 cohort.
Students interested in participating this summer can apply here: https://sites.temple.edu/sprout/application-form/. To be eligible, students must be a high school junior and be legally able to work in the U.S. at the time of applying.
- If you are interested in learning how to organize and improve your writing skills in a creative space, join the calligraphy club this Thursday for our interest meeting in room 311 at 3:10pm.
- You want to build autonomy as a student at Central? Join the Asian Pacific Islander Union on Tuesdays. Please come to learn more!
- “The Artist Club” is a club for any and all artists at Central who wish to come together as a community and express their art to other artists. They are inclusive to any art form, such as Music, Visual Arts, Sculpting, Film, Photography, and any other art form that students have a passion for There will be a club interest meeting held in the Spain Conference at 3:15pm today. If you are interested in having a space to express your art and grow with a community of artists, then “The Artist Club” is the club for you.
- Calling All Piano Players. Please join the Piano Collective at CHS google classroom page using code 6wdw2p4. The piano collective seeks to bring together pianists from our school to perform one recital per semester. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Are you interested in establishing a connection with a college and participating in a mentorship program with students who will be able to guide you through the college process? Join the Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers (SASE) on Thursday’s in room 311 after school. There will be college workshops , cultural events, and more throughout the year and we welcome everyone.
- Are you interested in making art and creating crafts? Art with Heart is a club where we come together to create arts and crafts to give back to our community! On Monday at 3:10pm, please come to room 323 for Art with Heart’s interest meeting where we will also be making friendship bracelets!
- If you are interested in helping us create spaces to talk about Asian American Pacific Islander gender equity and the formation of our cultural and racial identities, then Feminists of Asian Minorities is the club for you! Join us as we discuss and share our experiences with intersectionality and being what it means to be an Asian American in Today’s climate. Everyone is welcome in room 211.
- Students looking for a sponsor for a new club called “Letters for Rose,” an organization that writes letters to people in nursing homes. https://www.lettersforrose.org/please email Marcela Siahaan email@example.com
- AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE CLUB Are you interested in learning another language that isn’t taught at Central? Come join and be a part of our ASL Club this upcoming year. The cabinet and sponsors are very excited to have you be a part of this club and to meet you all to tell you what we have planned for this following year. Our first meeting was held on Wednesday, October 20th from 3:10 pm – 3:30 pm. The meeting took place in room 201/203. If interested check join the google classroom: y6tytyg. Please spread the news to all your friends. Also, please follow us on Instragram@signwithcentral for regular updates!
- Fundamentals of Weight Training meets on Monday and Wednesday mornings at 7:00am in the GX room.
- For all students seeking NHS Tutoring, please feel free to come after school any day of the week. Please find the link to sign up: https://forms.gle/dAiVC1htbqFQb9fB8 or see Mr. Hover in Rm. 107
- Please join the CIA ( Caribbeans In Action). We meet on Tuesdays in room 309 for returning and interested members.
- Are you interested in graphic novels? Do you like to draw or write and hope to bring these arts together? The newly formed GRAPHIC NOVEL CLUB meets in Room 8 after school on Thursdays.
- Boys interested in the Boy’s Volleyball team should see Mr. Leong in room 125 to get important information.
- CHS Film Club meets on Fridays after school in rm. 307. Interested students should join us there.
- Any student interested in joining the wrestling team please email Mr. Julien(firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The Science Olympiad Club meets on Tuesdays if you have any other questions they can be directed to Mr. Fitzgerald.
- Interested in learning more about and joining the CHS Computer Science Honor Society questions can be directed to Mrs. Lamborn in rm. 120.
- The mission of Central’s African American Student Union is to support the development of all Black students at Central through providing a safe space for fun, activism, and more! Feel free to DM the AASU Instagram page @chs.aasu for more information and meeting days.
- Do you know how to manage your money? Do you want to learn how to be financially responsible? ECSIR (Economic Career Self Improvement Research) is a club that aims to teach students about personal finance, career options, and self-improvement through research. Students can expect to explore credit cards, investing, taxes, and good habits will be meeting every Monday, after school in room 227 from 3:00 pm – 3:15pm.
- Science Tutoring has started. Tutoring takes place Tuesdays & Thursdays 7:30 – 8:00am & 3:10-4:00pm in room 099. Come with questions or no idea where to start….we’re here to help! (Ms. Cohen email@example.com)
- Any student interested in joining the bowling teams, should see Mr. Johns in the Gym office Room #060. The season will start in December.
- The CYA Central Yoga Association club meets every Wednesday at 3:15pm in the auditorium .
- The Central Math Club meets every Thursday after school in rm. 95. If you like challenging math problems and want to participate in multiple national and international competitions, welcome to the club. Math is fun!~Mr. Ovetsky
- Interested in climate action and community service? Join SEAS, the Student Environmental Action Society! SEAS aims to educate and empower students to take part in their respective communities to work towards conservation and sustainability. There will be many opportunities to strengthen Central’s sustainability measures and promote environmental health in our school community. Meetings are on Thursdays after school in room 403 and will likely go outside to start work cataloging Central’s trees and quantifying the value they provide. DM@seas.chs on Instagram or email Ms. Cohen firstname.lastname@example.org about any questions!
- The Drama Society of Central High School will meet every Monday and Tuesday after school in room 305 – Mr. Burns
- UNHEARD meets every Monday in room 3 at 3:20pm with Mrs. Durkee. Anyone interested in joining UNHEARD, which stands for: Uprooting Negligence and Habituating Equity and ANTI-Racism through Real Discussion is welcome to join.
- Costume Design meets every Tuesday in room 3 at 3:20pm with Mrs. Durkee.
- LGBT+Club Thursdays, 3:15 – 4:00 PM Thursdays, in Rm. 406
- Dungeons and Dragons Club 3:15-4:00 PM, Thursdays in Rm. 403
- Join the Central Voter Engagement Team! Help get Central students to register to vote and share information about upcoming elections. Learn about opportunities to work the polls on Election Day and help increase youth voter engagement and political involvement citywide, and even run for office yourself! Meetings are held on Mondays in Room 307.
- Parent Information: If you need help with the parent portal please go to https://centralhs.philasd,org-2/parent-portal-information/
- Mirror, Central’s art and literary magazine, is up and running for this school year. We are distributing last year’s Mirror publication to all advisors this week. Students, you are invited to submit your art and poetry for publication. Look out for signs in your English classrooms that have QR code to submit your work online. All students are invited to join us in reviewing submissions at our Mirror staff meetings on Tuesdays after school in room 108.
Information for Central Staff:
Staff please review your Safety Protocols with your students every class period.
Reminder send your Daily Bulletin Request to email@example.com by 12 noon daily in order for your information to be in the bulletin the next day.
don’t be afraid to start over this time you’re not starting from scratch you’re starting from experience. ~amazingmemovement.com