APPLYING TO CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL
Welcome to Central High School Student Selection Process for the
2022-2023 School Year!
Application window opens October 6, 2021 @ 4:00 PM
Application window closes November 21, 2021 @ 11:59 pm
This year the school District of Philadelphia conducted a more engaged process to reach decisions regarding the process and criteria pertaining to student selection. Students determined to meet the established criteria will be selected by lottery and the waitlist will be centrally managed. In addition, the online system was customized, which includes features to make school selection easier for students, parents and school staff.
Students applying to Central High School are required to complete a School District administered writing sample. CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED INFORMATION ON THE WRITING SAMPLE
ADMISSION CRITERIA AND INFORMATION:
- GRADES: Applicants must have an A or B in Reading, Math, and Social Studies on final 6th and 7th grade report cards (9th graders only-10th and 11th grade transfer students look below)
- Students must have exemplary attendance. Attendance must be 95% or higher.
- WRITING SAMPLE: Students must complete a District Administered Writing Sample (9th grade only)
- Transfer students: To graduate from Central High School, students must attend at least two full years. Therefore, the latest you can start is 11th grade. 10th and 11th grade applicants will be selected by lottery if they are determined to meet the established criteria and a writing sample is not required.
- Special needs students and English Language Learners are invited to apply to Central.
- The decision was made by the School District of Philadelphia to not use recommendation letters.
- Students considering to attend college should consider Central High School.
- The School District of Philadelphia shall deny the admission of a nonresident student to any school or academic program where such enrollment would displace a resident student or require the district to incur additional costs.
- If applying to 9th grade you will need 6th and 7th final grades, attendance, and a District Administered writing sample.
- If applying to 10th grade you will need 7th and 8th final grades and attendance.
- If applying to 11th grade you will need 8th and 9th final grades and attendance.
IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ADMISSION TO CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL YOU MUST SUBMIT AN ELECTRONIC APPLICATION, THROUGH THE SCHOOL SELECTION PROCESS, SCHOOL DISTRICT OF PHILADELPHIA WEBSITE STARTING OCTOBER 6, 2021. CLICK HERE
- Ensure your application was submitted correctly, with all the items needed. YOU WILL NOT BE NOTIFIED if something is missing.
- Non District students should check e-mail for the confirmation receipt that the application went through (THIS DOES NOT MEAN AN APPROVAL/ACCEPTANCE – just that your application WAS RECEIVED).
CURRENT SCHOOL DISTRICT STUDENTS
- District Students apply through their School District Student Portal Account or Parent & Family Portal Account. This is already linked to all their academic records, which includes grades and attendance. When you fill out the application, everything tied to your account will be sent automatically.
- NOTE: If your student/child IS a District student this year, but was NOT a District student last year, he/she won’t be set up in the system. All required documents/academic records must be uploaded electronically.
- All notifications will be displayed through the Student and Parent Portals, including school determinations (Approval, Disapproval and Waitlist).
- For step-by-step directions on how to apply, CLICK HERE
CURRENT NON-DISTRICT STUDENTS not attending a School District of Philadelphia school at the time of application.
- Non-District Students have to submit an online application in addition to uploading all of the necessary records, in order to be considered. The application is through a different portal and you should be prepared to upload electronic copies of your academic records, which includes Grade and Attendance.
- All notifications will be sent to the email address provided with the application including school determinations (Approval, Disapproval, Waitlist).
- For step-by-step directions on how current non-district students apply CLICK HERE
- Parents of non-district students, we strongly recommend that you create a Parent Account to receive all of the notifications and application determinations. You can create a Parent Account by CLICKING HERE