Applying to Central High School
Application window opens September 15, 2023 @ 4:00 PM
The District’s school selection process:
- uses a centralized lottery and waitlist system
- applies school-specific grades and attendance criteria
- makes the online application available in 10 different languages
- opens each fall, and closes each spring – this is the only application window for school selection
ADMISSION CRITERIA AND INFORMATION:
- GRADES: Applicants must have an A or B in Reading, Math, Science and Social Studies on final 7th grade report cards
- Students must have 95% attendance during the previous school year, excluding excused absences
- Students are required to score in the 80th percentile or higher on their math and ELA standardized exam (PSSA or Terranova)
- Central High School only accepts transfer students in 10th and 11th grade. We have extremely limited capacity to accept transfer students. 10th and 11th grade applicants will be selected by lottery if they are determined to meet the established criteria and space allows.
- Students with IEP, 504 plans, and English Language Learners, are invited to apply to Central.
- Recommendation letters are not a part of the application process
- Non-residents with the intention of relocating into the City of Philadelphia may apply but must be residents of Philadelphia by the first day of school to actually attend. The School District of Philadelphia shall deny the admission of a nonresident student to any school or academic program where such enrollment would displace a resident student or require the District to incur additional costs.
IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ADMISSION TO CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL, YOU MUST SUBMIT AN ELECTRONIC APPLICATION THROUGH THE SCHOOL SELECTION PROCESS, SCHOOL DISTRICT OF PHILADELPHIA WEBSITE STARTING SEPTEMBER 15, 2023. CLICK HERE
- Ensure your application was submitted correctly, with all the items needed. YOU WILL NOT BE NOTIFIED if something is missing.
- Non District students should check e-mail for the confirmation receipt that the application went through (THIS DOES NOT MEAN AN APPROVAL/ACCEPTANCE – just that your application WAS RECEIVED).
CURRENT SCHOOL DISTRICT STUDENTS
- District Students apply through their School District Student Portal Account or Parent & Family Portal Account. This is already linked to all their academic records, which includes grades and attendance. When you fill out the application, everything tied to your account will be sent automatically.
- NOTE: If your student/child IS a District student this year, but was NOT a District student last year, he/she won’t be set up in the system. All required documents/academic records must be uploaded electronically.
- All notifications will be displayed through the Student and Parent Portals, including school determinations (Approval, Disapproval and Waitlist).
- Please make sure the email address you enter is correct and a personal email address (not work). This will be the source of all notifications and communication. This will be same address used for the Parent Portal account.
CURRENT NON-DISTRICT STUDENTS not attending a School District of Philadelphia school at the time of application.
- Non-District Students have to submit an online application in addition to uploading all of the necessary records, in order to be considered. The application is through a different portal and you should be prepared to upload electronic copies of your academic records, which includes Grade and Attendance.
- All notifications will be sent to the email addresses provided with the application including school determinations (Approval, Disapproval, Waitlist). Please make sure the email address you enter is correct and a personal email address (not work). This will be the source of all notifications and communication.