Applications are now closed
The application window for the 2023-2024 school year is now closed! The deadline FOR ALL APPLICATIONS was November 4, 2022.
Welcome to Central High School Student Selection Process for the
2023-2024 School Year!
Application window opens September 16, 2022 @ 4:00 PM
Application window closes November 4, 2022 @ 11:59 PM
The school District of Philadelphia conducted a more engaged process to reach decisions regarding the process and criteria pertaining to student selection. Students determined to meet the established criteria will be selected by lottery and the waitlist will be centrally managed. In addition, the online system was customized, which includes features to make school selection easier for students, parents and school staff.
ADMISSION CRITERIA AND INFORMATION:
- GRADES: Applicants must have an A or B in Reading, Math, and Social Studies on final 6th and 7th grade report cards (9th graders only-10th and 11th grade transfer students look below)
- Students must have exemplary attendance. Attendance must be 95% or higher.
- Transfer students: To graduate from Central High School, students must attend at least two full years. Therefore, the latest you can start is 11th grade. 10th and 11th grade applicants will be selected by lottery if they are determined to meet the established criteria.
- Students with IEP, 504 plans, and English Language Learners, are invited to apply to Central.
- The decision was made by the School District of Philadelphia to not use recommendation letters.
- Students considering to attend college should consider Central High School.
- Non-residents with the intention of relocating into the City of Philadelphia may apply but must be residents of Philadelphia by the first day of school to actually attend. The School District of Philadelphia shall deny the admission of a nonresident student to any school or academic program where such enrollment would displace a resident student or require the District to incur additional costs.
- Applicants must provide:
- If applying to 9th grade you will need 6th and 7th final grades, attendance
- If applying to 10th grade you will need 7th and 8th final grades and attendance.
- If applying to 11th grade you will need 8th and 9th final grades and attendance.
- Standardized test results: PSSA or TerraNova scores for those that did not take the PSSA. The district is offering free TerraNova testing but you must register here by September 30, 2022. CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT PSSA SCORES OR TO REGISTER FOR THE TERRANOVA TESTING PROVIDED BY THE DISTRICT,
IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ADMISSION TO CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL YOU MUST SUBMIT AN ELECTRONIC APPLICATION, THROUGH THE SCHOOL SELECTION PROCESS, SCHOOL DISTRICT OF PHILADELPHIA WEBSITE STARTING SEPTEMBER 16, 2022. CLICK HERE
- Ensure your application was submitted correctly, with all the items needed. YOU WILL NOT BE NOTIFIED if something is missing.
- Non District students should check e-mail for the confirmation receipt that the application went through (THIS DOES NOT MEAN AN APPROVAL/ACCEPTANCE – just that your application WAS RECEIVED).
CURRENT SCHOOL DISTRICT STUDENTS
- District Students apply through their School District Student Portal Account or Parent & Family Portal Account. This is already linked to all their academic records, which includes grades and attendance. When you fill out the application, everything tied to your account will be sent automatically.
- NOTE: If your student/child IS a District student this year, but was NOT a District student last year, he/she won’t be set up in the system. All required documents/academic records must be uploaded electronically.
- All notifications will be displayed through the Student and Parent Portals, including school determinations (Approval, Disapproval and Waitlist).
- Please make sure the email address you enter is correct and a personal email address (not work). This will be the source of all notifications and communication. This will be same address used for the Parent Portal account.
CURRENT NON-DISTRICT STUDENTS not attending a School District of Philadelphia school at the time of application.
- Non-District Students have to submit an online application in addition to uploading all of the necessary records, in order to be considered. The application is through a different portal and you should be prepared to upload electronic copies of your academic records, which includes Grade and Attendance.
- All notifications will be sent to the email addresses provided with the application including school determinations (Approval, Disapproval, Waitlist). Please make sure the email address you enter is correct and a personal email address (not work). This will be the source of all notifications and communication.