APPLYING TO CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL
Due to COVID-19, we are currently unable to provide tours or other visitation events. However, we have created a virtual experience to help tell our story. Please click here to see our Virtual Tour Page.
- GRADES: Applicants must have major subject marks of A or B with the exception of one C on the most recent year-end report card.
- TEST SCORES: Both Reading and Math scores must be at or above the 88th percentile in standardized testing.
- WRITING SAMPLE: Students must submit a handwritten one page personal statement or reflection paper.
- Students must have exemplary attendance, punctuality, and behavior.
- Special needs students and English Language Learners are invited to apply to Central. Decisions are made through a team process.
- Students considering to attend college should consider Central High School.
- Transfer students: To graduate from Central High School, you must attend at least two full years. Therefore, the latest you can start is 11th grade.
- The School District of Philadelphia shall deny the admission of a nonresident student to any school or academic program where such enrollment would displace a resident student or require the district to incur additional costs.
IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ADMISSION TO CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL YOU MUST SUBMIT AN ELECTRONIC APPLICATION, THROUGH THE SCHOOL SELECTION PROCESS, SCHOOL DISTRICT OF PHILADELPHIA WEBSITE STARTING SEPTEMBER 18, 2020. Click here http://schoolselect.philasd.org
- Ensure your application was submitted correctly, with all the items needed. YOU WILL NOT BE NOTIFIED if something is missing.
- Non District students should check e-mail for the confirmation receipt that the application went through (THIS DOES NOT MEAN AN APPROVAL/ACCEPTANCE – just that your application WAS RECEIVED).
Enrollment opens SEPTEMBER 18, 2020 AT 5:00 PM
Enrollment closes NOVEMBER 6, 2020 AT 5:00 PM
CURRENT SCHOOL DISTRICT STUDENTS
- District Students apply through their School District Student Portal Account or Parent & Family Portal Account. This is already linked to all their academic records, which includes grades, attendance, behavior and standardized test scores. When you fill out the application, everything tied to your account will be sent automatically. You will however be responsible for uploading an essay for Central High School.
- NOTE: If your student/child IS a District student this year, but was NOT a District student last year, he/she won’t be set up in the system. All required documents/academic records must be delivered electronically and/or paper copies sent directly to Central High School Admissions.
- All notifications will be displayed through the Student and Parent Portals, including school determinations (Approval, Disapproval and Waitlist).
CURRENT NON-DISTRICT STUDENTS not attending a School District of Philadelphia school at the time of application.
- Non-District Students have to submit an online application in addition to uploading all of the necessary records, in order to be considered. The application is through a different portal and you should be prepared with electronic copies of your academic records, which include Grades, Attendance, Behavior and Standardized Test Score Results.
- All notifications will be sent to the email address provided with the application including school determinations (Approval, Disapproval, Waitlist).
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR ALL STUDENTS
Covid 19 has forced Special Admission Schools to change the criteria required for review. Below are the adjustments Special Admission Schools made for the 2021-2022 School Selection Process.
Due to COVID 19, there will not be an opportunity to hand deliver any academic records to Central High School. ALL academic records must be uploaded electronically.
- A one page personal statement or reflection paper. It can be handwritten or typed.
- If applying to the 9th grade- 6th & 7th grade final grades/5th & 6th grade Standarized Tests
- If applying to the 10th grade- 7th & 8th grade final grades/6th & 7th grade Standarized Tests
- If applying to the 11th grade- 8th & 9th grade final grades/7th & 8th grade Standarized Tests