CHS Harassment Policy
Central High School prohibits any harassment including but not limited to: race, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, personal appearance and hygiene. This applies in any on-campus or off-campus situation involving any member of the school staff to a student or another staff member and/or when made by any student to another student or staff member. Central is a heterogeneous learning community that takes pride in its diversity. All reports of harassment will be taken seriously and will follow the School District of Philadelphia’s code of conduct. After an investigation is completed by the discipline office, consequences will be determined by the dean and administration.
Every member of the school community is entitled to attend school free from a hostile or abusive environment. Harassment will not be tolerated. For the purpose of this policy, harassment shall be defined as the creation of a hostile or abusive environment through words, gestures, actions or electronic communication. As per the School District of Philadelphia’s definition, “harassment does not have to include intent to harm, be directed at a specific target, or involve repeated incidents. A single incident of harassment may implicate more than one protected class. For example, a student may be targeted because of his race and sexual orientation”. (Policy 248)
Areas of concern include but are not limited to:
- The use of racial epithets, slurs, or insensitive and/or derogatory language.
- Sexual slurs, displays of sexually provocative pictures, sexual remarks.
- Offensive sexual conduct.
- Hostile, offensive, or derogatory speech or writing.
- Physical interference with movement or work.
- Offensive or abusive behavior that interferes with an individual’s academic pursuits.
- Technology used that may include social networks, messaging, email, etc.
Possible consequences of harassment, as outlined in the School District of Philadelphia’s code of conduct may include: in-school suspension, out-of-school suspension, expulsion from Central, transfer to a disciplinary school, and/or expulsion from the School District of Philadelphia.