DAILY BULLETIN TUESDAY, February 18, 2020
CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL
TUESDAY, February 18, 2020
- Advisory 8:00-8:53
- 1st 8:56-9:46
- 2nd 9:49-10:39
- 3rd 10:42-11:32
- 4th 11:35-12:25
- 5th 12:28-1:18
- 6th 1:21-2:11
- 7th 2:14-3:04
BLOOD DRIVE TODAY
STAFF and STUDENTS:
- Philadelphia Free Library has a new policy of forgiveness for all old fines. It’s their “valentine to the city they love: they’ve gone fine-free!”That’s right: The Free Library no longer charges fines for overdue materials. What’s more, all existing overdue fines—large and small, from last month or last decade—have been removed from patrons’ library cards! Thus students who have been hesitant to use F.L.P. resources no longer have any excuse not to. Navigate to Barnwell Library tab at Central High School home page for access to slide show on how to use F.L.P. print and digital resources. Access to 140 plus databases is a great place to start research-based papers and presentations.
- If you do not already have an F.L.P. borrower’s card navigate to F.L.P. and get one today. Non-city resident Faculty are entitled to borrowing privileges as public school teachers. See Mr. Lobron at Barnwell Library with anyconcerns/questions.
- Voter Registration Team Training – Join us Tuesday after school to learn how to use computer tablets to register Central students to vote! Trainers from SEAMAAC will be in Room 307. Earn community service hours!
- Join the Central Voter Registration Team! Help get all eligible students to vote in the April 28th Pennsylvania Primary to nominate Republican and Democratic candidates for US President, Congress, and PA state offices. Learn how to do nonpartisan online registration and get-out-the-vote phone and text banking. Help start a social media campaign to inspire first-time voters! We’re meeting Friday, February 14th, at 8:15am in Room 307. Contact Mr. Quinn for more info: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Financial Literacy and Bridges to Wealth Class will start for the spring session on Friday, February 14th in Room 211. Every Friday, students from U Penn’s Wharton School of Business will be at Central to teach economics classes. The class runs from 3:15-4:00. For more info see Mr. Quinn (Room 307) or Ms. Sheldon-Matje (Room211)
- Faculty, Staff, and Students: Your input is valued. If you have ideas about books, we could add to the Barwell Library Collection please share your ideas:email@example.com Include the author and the title of any book you suggest. Thank you for your consideration in helping us keep our collection up to date and relevant to all stakeholders in our collection. Thank you ~Mr. Lobron
- Mr. Lobron’s scissors have not yet returned to the Library. Can we make this happen? NO QUESTIONS ASKED Students: While we appreciate your enthusiasm for International Day preparation, we need the multiple pairs of scissors back that “someone borrowed.” Please return them with HASTE to the Barnwell Library. NO questions asked; thank you ~Mr. Lobron
- THE SCHOOL STORE IS NOW OPEN ~ School Store Hours are as follows:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday ~ Morning 7:30-8:00 and Afternoon 3:10 – 3:30
- Wednesday ~ Morning, 7:30 – 8:00 ~ NO After School Hours
- Reminder Staff when you are absent please turn in a SEH-86 after each absence the day after you return. Absence cards can be found in the main office behind the copier in a tray. Please Complete, Sign, and Return to the main office to Ms. Ramseur (Ms. R)
- Please remember to check your CHS Calendar every day for upcoming events.
- Greetings once again from the Central-Thon Committee! Tomorrow, January 14th, we will begin collecting donations for the 2020 book drive. All books and funds collected will go directly to the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia’s “Reach out and Read” program. The books donated to the hospital allow young patients to work on language development and experience the joy of reading. Last year, we collected over 600 books; this year we hope to reach and exceed that number with the help our generous student body, faculty, and staff here at Central. We would appreciate your support during this event (1/14-2/29) in the form of monetary donations or gently-used or brand-new books suited for patients, especially those patients six-months to five-years old. Members of Central-THON will visit advisories, collect books at the scanners, and place a drop-box in front of the main entrance and Rm. 21. Please reach out to either our sponsor, Dr. Elliott Drago, or one of our Co-Directors: Hannah Poeng (firstname.lastname@example.org), Alesha Philip (email@example.com), April Serrano (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- If you have any questions, comments, or concerns. Many thanks in advance for your support and may the 2020 book drive season be the best one yet!
- Artist and poets! The winter edition of Mirror is printing and will be distributed shortly. We are accepting submissions for the spring edition. We’ll accept submissions until March 29th. See the Mirror bulletin board in the English corridor for details. Also, staff meetings are reconvening, starting on Thursday, January 16th in room 108. New members are always welcome!
- Science Opportunity for 10th & 11th grade girls:EXELON FOUNDATION STEM INNOVATION LEADERSHIP ACADEMY. A free week-long (Sunday, July 26, 2020 – Friday, July 31, 2020), residential STEM leadership program held at Drexel University, where young women get to learn about energy and STEM in fun, interactive ways, such as field trips, site visits, keynote speakers, panels of women leaders from across the city, leadership development training, and an energy challenge which will result in cool prizes!Application due by April 22, 2020. https://exelonstemacademy.org
- SMASH STEM Academy info session will happen in the Spain Conference Center during open homeroom on Friday 1/31/2020. 9th graders interested in a residential program focused on science, technology, engineering, and math at UPENN over the next 3 summers…please come to get information, tips, and swag https://www.smash.org/programs/smash-academy/. Applications due 2/28/2020.
- The SCIENCE PEER TUTORING CENTER will start on Tuesday 12/3/19 and run Tues-Fri during open homeroom in the Chemistry Alcove (outside rms. 083-085). Come bring your biology, chemistry, and physics questions. Join the Peer Tutoring Google Classroom (an7brz4) for updates. – Ms. Cohen email@example.com
- Central’s A Cappella the Knights of Harmony is still looking for boys and those who can beat box to audition. Please stop by room 323 and look for Mr. G.