DAILY BULLETIN FRIDAY, February 14, 2020
CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL
FRIDAY, February 14, 2020
- Advisory 8:00-8:53
- 1st 8:56-9:46
- 2nd 9:49-10:39
- 3rd 10:42-11:32
- 4th 11:35-12:25
- 5th 12:28-1:18
- 6th 1:21-2:11
- 7th 2:14-3:04
STAFF and STUDENTS:
- Please remember to check your CHS Calendar every day for upcoming events.
- 9th graders interested in the SMASH Wharton program-a residential summer STEM program at UPENN. A representative is coming THIS FRIDAY 2/14/20 to room 402 to answer your questions and give you application advice and swag. 8:15-8:45am
- Join the Central Voter Registration Team! Help get all eligible students to vote in the April 28th Pennsylvania Primary to nominate Republican and Democratic candidates for US President, Congress, and PA state offices. Learn how to do nonpartisan online registration and
- get-out-the-vote phone and text banking. Help start a social media campaign to inspire first-time voters! We’re meeting Friday, February 14th, at 8:15am in Room 307. Contact Mr. Quinn for more info: email@example.com
- The Financial Literacy and Bridges to Wealth Class will start for the spring session on Friday, February 14th in Room 211. Every Friday, students from U Penn’s Wharton School of Business will be at Central to teach economics classes. The class runs from 3:15-4:00. For more info see Mr. Quinn (Room 307) or Ms. Sheldon-Matje (Room211)
- Faculty, Staff, and Students: Your input is valued. If you have ideas about books, we could add to the Barnwell Library Collection please share your ideas:firstname.lastname@example.orgInclude the author and the title of any book you suggest. Thank you for your consideration in helping us keep our collection up to date and relevant to all stakeholders in our collection. Thank you ~Mr. Lobron
- Mr. Lobron’s scissors have not yet returned to the Library. Can we make this happen? NO QUESTIONS ASKED
- Students: While we appreciate your enthusiasm for International Day preparation, we need the multiple pairs of scissors back that “someone borrowed.” Please return them with HASTE to the Barnwell Library. NO questions asked; thank you ~Mr. Lobron
- Any Boys interested in the Boys Volleyball Team should attend a brief meeting after school on Tuesday 1/28 in room 125. New and old members should attend ~ Mr. H. Leong
- The Music Department is selling Valentine’s Day singing grams! 3 Dollars for a serenade and 5 dollars for a serenade and candy. To order, fill out a form in room 324 by Tuesday, February 11th.
- THE SCHOOL STORE IS NOW OPEN ~ School Store Hours are as follows:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday ~ Morning 7:30-8:00 and Afternoon 3:10 – 3:30
- Wednesday ~ Morning, 7:30 – 8:00 ~ NO After School Hours
- Reminder Staff when you are absent please turn in a SEH-86 after each absence the day after you return. Absence cards can be found in the main office behind the copier in a tray. Please Complete, Sign, and Return to the main office to Ms. Ramseur (Ms. R)
- Greetings once again from the Central-Thon Committee! Tomorrow, January 14th, we will begin collecting donations for the 2020 book drive. All books and funds collected will go directly to the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia’s “Reach out and Read” program. The books donated to the hospital allow young patients to work on language development and experience the joy of reading. Last year, we collected over 600 books; this year we hope to reach and exceed that number with the help our generous student body, faculty, and staff here at Central. We would appreciate your support during this event (1/14-2/29) in the form of monetary donations or gently-used or brand-new books suited for patients, especially those patients six-months to five-years old. Members of Central-THON will visit advisories, collect books at the scanners, and place a drop-box in front of the main entrance and Rm. 211
- Please reach out to either our sponsor, Dr. Elliott Drago, or one of our Co-Directors: Hannah Poeng (email@example.com), Alesha Philip (firstname.lastname@example.org), April Serrano (email@example.com)If you have any questions, comments, or concerns. Many thanks in advance for your support and may the 2020 book drive season be the best one yet!
- Artist and poets! The winter edition of Mirror is printing and will be distributed shortly. We are accepting submissions for the spring edition. We’ll accept submissions until March 29th. See the Mirror bulletin board in the English corridor for details. Also, staff meetings are reconvening, starting on Thursday, January 16th in room 108. New members are always welcome!
- Science Opportunity for 10th & 11th grade girls: EXELON FOUNDATION STEM INNOVATION LEADERSHIP ACADEMY. A free week-long (Sunday, July 26, 2020 – Friday, July 31, 2020), residential STEM leadership program held at Drexel University, where young women get to learn about energy and STEM in fun, interactive ways, such as field trips, site visits, keynote speakers, panels of women leaders from across the city, leadership development training, and an energy challenge which will result in cool prizes!Application due by April 22, 2020. https://exelonstemacademy.org
- SMASH STEM Academy info session will happen in the Spain Conference Center during open homeroom on Friday 1/31/2020. 9th graders interested in a residential program focused on science, technology, engineering, and math at UPENN over the next 3 summers…please come to get information, tips, and swag. https://www.smash.org/programs/smash-academy/. Applications due 2/28/2020.
- The SCIENCE PEER TUTORING CENTER will start on Tuesday 12/3/19 and run Tues-Fri during open homeroom in the Chemistry Alcove (outside rms. 083-085). Come bring your biology, chemistry, and physics questions. Join the Peer Tutoring Google Classroom (an7brz4) for updates. – Ms. Cohen ([mailto:firstname.lastname@example.orgemail@example.com])
- Science Peer Tutoring! Do you need or can you offer HELP in a science course? Sign up here to be a peer tutor or to request help. Tutors will receive community service hours, and tutees efforts to improve their understanding will be carefully recorded and communicated to parents/guardians and teachers.
- Any student, male or female interested in joining the Central Bowling Teams, should see Mr. Johns in the Gym. Please do so during the open Advisory period.
- Central’s A Cappella the Knights of Harmony is still looking for boys and those who can beat box to audition. Please stop by room 323 and look for Mr. G.