DAILY BULLETIN Wednesday, January 29, 2020
CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL
Wednesday, January 29, 2020
- Advisory 8:00-8:53
- 1st 8:56-9:46
- 2nd 9:49-10:39
- 3rd 10:42-11:32
- 4th 11:35-12:25
- 5th 12:28-1:18
- 6th 1:21-2:11
- 7th 2:14-3:04
Today, Wednesday JANUARY 29, 2020 – International Week
- Wednesday, January 29, 2020 – International Week Showcase Class 280
- Thursday, January 30, 2020 – International Week Showcase Class 279
- Friday, January 31, 2020 – International Week Café and Presentations
THE SCHOOL STORE IS NOW OPEN! School Store Hours are as follows:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday ~ Morning 7:30-8:00 and Afternoon 3:10 – 3:30
- Wednesday ~ Morning, 7:30 – 8:00 ~ NO After School Hours
Reminder Staff when you are absent please turn in a SEH-86 after each absence the day after you return. Absence cards can be found in the main office behind the copier in a tray. Please Complete, Sign, and Return to the main office to Ms. Ramseur (Ms. R)
STAFF and STUDENTS:
- Students: As of Monday, January 27th you will need to scan your ID to enter Barnwell Library. If it is not your lunch period or your study skills period you will need a note from an assistant principal or from a teacher to use the library during class time. Thank you ~Mr. Lobron
- Faculty, Staff, and Students: Your input is valued. If you have ideas about books we could add to the Barwell Library Collection please share your ideas:email@example.com Include the author and the title of any book you suggest. Thank you for your consideration in helping us keep our collection up to date and relevant to all stakeholders in our collection. Thank you
- Students: While we appreciate your enthusiasm for Internationdal Day preparation we need the multiple pairs of scissors back that “someone borrowed.” Please return them with HASTE to the Barnwell Library. NO questions asked; thank you ~Mr. Lobron
- Please vote for your favorite Multicultural Week hallway! Please scan the QR code in the hallway to vote. The winning club will win a pizza party from Mr. McKenna. ~ The SA Office
- Any Boys interested in the Boys Volleyball Team should attend a brief meeting after school on Tuesday 1/28 in room 125. New and old members should attend ~ Mr. H. Leong
- The Music Department is selling Valentine’s Day singing grams! 3 Dollars for a serenade and 5 dollars for a serenade and candy. To order, fill out a form in room 324 by Tuesday, February 11th.
- Please remember to check your CHS Calendar everyday for upcoming events.
- Any female student interested in joining the Badminton team must attend a meeting on Thursday, January 30, 2020. The meeting will be held in the Gym at 8:25 am during open homeroom. ~ Coach Johns
- Congratulations to Junior Christian DeBrady who is Central’s Poetry Out Loud School-Wide Winner. Christian’s poetry recitations were outstanding, and he will represent Central in the city-wide contest this February.
- Greetings once again from the Central-Thon Committee! Tomorrow, January 14th, we will begin collecting donations for the 2020 book drive. All books and funds collected will go directly to the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia’s “Reach out and Read” program. The books donated to the hospital allow young patients to work on language development and experience the joy of reading.
- Last year, we collected over 600 books; this year we hope to reach and exceed that number with the help our generous student body, faculty, and staff here at Central. We would appreciate your support during this event (1/14-2/29) in the form of monetary donations or gently-used or brand new books suited for patients, especially those patients six-months to five-years old. Members of Central-THON will visit advisories, collect books at the scanners, and place a drop-box in front of the main entrance and Rm. 211
- Please reach out to either our sponsor, Dr. Elliott Drago, or one of our Co-Directors: Hannah Poeng (firstname.lastname@example.org) Alesha Philip (email@example.com) April Serrano (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- If you have any questions, comments, or concerns. Many thanks in advance for your support and may the 2020 book drive season be the best one yet!
- International Day Café: anyone interested in working the café this year, should sign up outside the language office at 243. You must be eligible and in good standing to apply/be selected. This is an opportunity for any non-language student to take part in the activity, as the dishes are provided solely by those in language classes.
- Artist and poets! The winter edition of Mirror is printing and will be distributed shortly. We are accepting submissions for the spring edition. We’ll accept submissions until March 29th. See the Mirror bulletin board in the English corridor for details. Also, staff meetings are reconvening, starting on Thursday, January 16th in room 108. New members are always welcome!
- Science Opportunity for 10th & 11th grade girls: EXELON FOUNDATION STEM INNOVATION LEADERSHIP ACADEMY. A free week-long (Sunday, July 26, 2020 – Friday, July 31, 2020), residential STEM leadership program held at Drexel University, where young women get to learn about energy and STEM in fun, interactive ways, such as field trips, site visits, keynote speakers, panels of women leaders from across the city, leadership development training, and an energy challenge which will result in cool prizes! Application due by April 22, 2020. https://exelonstemacademy.org
- SMASH STEM Academy info session will happen in the Spain Conference Center during open homeroom on Friday 1/31/2020. 9th graders interested in a residential program focused on science, technology, engineering, and math at UPENN over the next 3 summers…please come to get information, tips, and swag. https://www.smash.org/programs/smash-academy/. Applications due 2/28/2020.
- The SCIENCE PEER TUTORING CENTER will start on Tuesday 12/3/19 and run Tues-Fri during open homeroom in the Chemistry Alcove (outside rms. 083-085). Come bring your biology, chemistry, and physics questions. Join the Peer Tutoring Google Classroom (an7brz4) for updates. – Ms. Cohen ([mailto:email@example.comfirstname.lastname@example.org])
- Teachers/Staff: I am looking for someone to take over as sponsor of martial arts club. Club meets on Monday afternoons. Students are organized but I am no longer to carry out this responsibility. Send me a line if you are interested: email@example.com Thank you for your consideration of this opportunity. J. Lobron
- The Financial Literacy and Entrepreneurship Class met after school on Friday, October 18 in Room 211. Please note every Friday; students from U Penn’s Wharton School of Business will be at Central to teach the classes. For more info see Mr. Quinn (Room 307) or Ms. Sheldon-Matje (Room 211).
- Science Peer Tutoring! Do you need or can you offer HELP in a science course? Sign up here to be a peer tutor or to request help. Tutors will receive community service hours, and tutees efforts to improve their understanding will be carefully recorded and communicated to parents/guardians and teachers.
- Any student, male or female interested in joining the Central Bowling Teams, should see Mr. Johns in the Gym. Please do so during the open Advisory period.
- Central’s A Cappella the Knights of Harmony is still looking for boys and those who can beat box to audition. Please stop by room 323 and look for Mr. G.
- January 29–5pm: 2nd report grades due
- January 30–PDP mid-year review due (if necessary)