DAILY BULLETIN TUESDAY, OCTOBER 8, 2019
CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 8, 2019
ACTIVITIES FOR THE WEEK
- Students: Our Varsity Football team has home games for the next 2 Friday afternoons at 3pm. Come out and support. Oct. 11th vs NE, and Oct. 18th vs IMHOTEP
- DON’T FORGET TO CHECK THE CHS CALENDAR!!
- THE SCHOOL STORE IS NOW OPEN! School Store Hours are as follows: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday ~ Morning 7:30-8:00 and Afternoon 3:10 – 3:30 Wednesday ~ Morning, 7:30 – 8:00 ~ NO After School Hours
Staff when you are absent please turn in a SEH-86 after each absence the day after you return. Absence cards can be found in the main office behind the copier in a tray. Please Complete, Sign, and Return to the main office to Ms. Ramseur (Ms. R) Thank you
STAFF and STUDENTS:
- Close to Home is a club that helps students earn community service hours by participating in a range of community based service activities and events. If interested in joining attend our meeting on Thursday, October 17th after school in the Spain Center. Everyone is welcome to attend.
- A friendly reminder to all club presidents that club paperwork is due by October 11. Thanks
- Freshman Tea is October 24, 2019. Club presidents; please fill out the form to participate in Freshman Tea on the SA Club President Google Classroom. Each club will need to make a trifold poster for the Freshman Tea, which is due to the SA Office, Room 241, by 10/18. Let us know if you have any questions. – The SA Office
- Channel your inner Greta Thunberg at the first Student Environmental Action Society meeting. Help us plan and implement ideas to improve our local environment; help maintain our school’s garden; and have fun with environmentally conscious students. Meetings every Thursday after school in room 402.
- NOTES FROM THE NURSES:
- Attention class 279! This Friday the nurses’ office is hosting nursing students from Villanova University to assist us in completing our annual state mandated health screenings. The screenings will take place in the wrestling gym from 8:45 am until 12:30pm. On Friday, please obtain your appointment slip from your homeroom teacher. If you have a test during your scheduled screening, PLEASE TAKE YOUR TEST FIRST and come for your screening after. Bring your glasses, if you wear them.
- Senior advisors: Please check your box on Thursday afternoon or Friday morning for appointment slips to be given out during homeroom. We will be screening approximately ALL of our seniors; so ALL senior homerooms will be included. If a senior in your class is scheduled for a health screening, please excuse them to do so. If their appointment is scheduled during a test, please have them take the test FIRST, and they can complete their screening after.
- Thank you ALL For your assistance in this Second Annual MASS SCREENING event!Leigh A. Coakley, RN, Rodney Abary, CRNP, and Alma Kokthi, RN
- The Fox Chase Immersion Science Program is accepting applications until 10/28/19. ISP is a FREE program for students who have already completed Biology and Chemistry. Learn serious research techniques using fruit flies to investigate diet and cancer signaling pathways. The program runs over 11 Saturdays, January 11th – March 21st. The application will launch on Twitter (@isp_lab) and Facebook (Fox Chase Cancer Center Immersion Science Program).
- Faculty: Please have one of your students bring last year’s library passes to Barnwell or leave them in my mailbox. Two students a day are allowed from each advisory. If you could simply initial the library passes we would appreciate it, as forgery is rampant among the youth of America. Thank you.
- Office Aides are still needed for 2nd and 5th Periods. Please see Ms. Flowers.
- Community Service Opportunity:
- Blind Sports Organization of Philadelphia
- Our organization has done a great job of providing people with visual impairment the opportunity to participate in athletic settings.
As a non-profit organization, we are constantly looking for volunteers to assist in our various events held around the Philadelphia area. Being familiar towards Central’s mission to have students engage in community service, I think this would be a great opportunity to have students assist in events while being able to enjoy the pleasures of sports and social interaction.
We have a volunteer sign-up page, which is copied below.
https: //www.blindsports.org/ volunteer
- **9th Graders Only ~ Shadowing starts Monday, September 23rd. If you would like to shadow, please report to the shadow hallway (between the Auditorium and Library) by 7:30am. Shadow dates for this week are Monday, 10/ 7– Friday, 10/11
- Informational meeting for those interested in playing JV Girls Basketball will be held on two separate times and dates.
- Monday, October 7th after school in room 50 and/or
- Tuesday, October 8th in the gym at 7:45am or 8:20am
- Click this link for more info on PIAA physicals and instructions: https://centralhs.philasd.org/athletics/athletic-forms/
- Please support CHS Athletics and share free 15% off Modell’s coupons. Valid through October 10, 2019.