Girls’ Varsity Soccer 2019 Training Tips
- Prior Experience: Prior experience is highly recommended but not necessary. We are not a little league team or a club team. We are a varsity program. Our team is very competitive. Central does not have a girl’s JV soccer program. Please consider these facts before trying out for the team.
- Cardio Conditioning: All candidates are expected to be in good physical condition. You should be able to JOG two miles without becoming exhausted. You should be able to accomplish this on the first day of training camp.Use reasonable progression to achieve this goal. Start by jogging one half mile. Add one quarter mile every three days until you can JOG the two miles. Add sprints at your own discretion. Sprint 50 yds. 4x, 100 yds. 2x, 200 yds. 1x. Do your cardio-work every other day. Remember to stretch before and after your workout. Drink plenty of water before and after your workout.
- On the first day of training camp, all returning players will be required to run one mile in less than seven minutes and forty-five seconds. (7:45) Any returning player who cannot make the time, will not be permitted to practice until they can make the time. NO EXCEPTIONS!
Basic Soccer Skills: Work with a partner or against a brick wall on the following skills.
- Foot Traps (Cushion trap, Wedge trap, Catch trap)
- Thigh Traps
- Chest Trap
Practice all of these skills from a distance and from height. Examples; Trap a ball kicked or thrown from 30 yards away. Trap a ball that has been kicked or thrown 30 feet into the air. Remember DO NOT LET THE BALL BOUNCE. Trap the ball dead out of the air. (USE BOTH FEET)
- Dribble the ball for 5 to 10 minutes. Use varying speeds, keep control of the ball. (USE BOTH FEET)
- Shooting – Shoot at a goal or a wall. Develop your strength and accuracy. (USE BOTH FEET)
- Juggling/Touch – Work until you can juggle/touch the ball for 5 minutes without missing or letting the ball touch the ground. (USE BOTH FEET) Add 1 minute every couple of days.
- Shoot at a goal or a wall. Develop your strength and accuracy. (USE BOTH FEET)
- Work until you can juggle/touch the ball for 5 minutes without missing or letting the ball touch the ground. (USE BOTH FEET) Add 1 minute every couple of days.