APPLYING TO CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL
Central High School does not have an open-house event but we do offer Student Shadowing and Parent Tour opportunities. With this opportunity, your student will shadow a current 9th grade Central student during the school day and experience Central High School first hand while parents take an optional tour of the school. The Shadow Program will open on Monday, September 17, 2018 and will be available through Friday, November 2, 2018.
Please call Chuck Steinberg at (215) 400-3590 option zero to set up a shadow/tour 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
- GRADES: Applicants must have major subject marks of A or B with the exception of one C on the most recent year-end report card.
- TEST SCORES: Both Reading and Math scores must be at or above the 88th percentile in standardized testing.
- All Students must submit a one-page writing sample as part of the application process. It can either be a personal statement/reflection OR students can answer the three question prompt provided by the School District of Philadelphia. Students have the option of typing or handwriting their writing sample. Handwritten responses must be legible.
- Students must have exemplary attendance, punctuality, and behavior.
- Students who reside outside of Philadelphia may attend Central if they meet all above criteria and pay tuition.
- Special needs students and English Language Learners are invited to apply to Central. Decisions are made through a team process.
- Only Students preparing to attend college should consider Central High School.
- Transfer students: To graduate from Central High School, you must attend at least two full years. Therefore, the latest you can start is 11th grade.
IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ADMISSION TO CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL YOU MUST SUBMIT AN ELECTRONIC APPLICATION, THROUGH THE SCHOOL SELECTION PROCESS, SCHOOL DISTRICT OF PHILADELPHIA WEBSITE STARTING SEPTEMBER 21, 2018 http://schoolselect.philasd.org
- Ensure your application was submitted correctly, with all the items needed. YOU WILL NOT BE NOTIFIED if something is missing.
- Non District students should check e-mail for the confirmation receipt that the application went through (THIS DOES NOT MEAN AN APPROVAL/ACCEPTANCE – just that your application WAS RECEIVED).
Enrollment opens SEPTEMBER 21, 2018 AT 5:00 PM
Enrollment closes NOVEMBER 2, 2018 AT 5:00 PM
CURRENT SCHOOL DISTRICT STUDENTS
- District Students apply through their School Net Account. This is already linked to all their academic records, which includes grades, attendance, behavior and standardized test scores. When you fill out the application, everything tied to your account will be sent automatically. You will however be responsible for uploading an essay, where applicable.
- If your student/child IS a District student this year, but was NOT a District student last year, he/she won’t be set up in the system. All required documents/academic records must be delivered electronically and/or paper copies sent directly to Central High School Admissions.
CURRENT NON-DISTRICT STUDENTS
- Non-District Students have to submit an online application at schoolselect.philasd.org. In addition, the documents listed below must be received by uploading to the site during the application process or paper copies delivered to the school in order to be considered. The application is completed through a different portal than Current School District Students. See below.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR NON-DISTRICT STUDENTS
All documents must be delivered electronically and/OR paper copies directly to Central High School for evaluation.
- The School District Student Data Transcript
- A copy of your child’s final report card from the 2017-2018 school year including attendance information.
- A copy of your child’s most recent standardized test scores. For example PSSA, TerraNova, ERB’s.
- A readable handwritten one page personal statement or reflection paper. Type if necessary.
- The chart below will help you know what grade information is necessary.
|Applying to 9th grade||Provide 7th grade academic and standardized test score information|
|Applying to 10th grade||Provide 8th grade academic and standardized test score information|
|Applying to 11th grade||Provide 9th grade academic and standardized test score information|