APPLYING TO CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL
Central High School does not have an open-house event but we do offer Student Shadowing and Parent Tour opportunities. With this opportunity, your student will shadow a current 9th grade Central student during the school day and experience Central High School first hand while parents take an optional tour of the school. The Shadow Program will open on September 23, 2019, and will be available through November 1, 2019.
Please call Chuck Steinberg at (215) 400-3590 option zero to set up a shadow/tour 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
- GRADES: Applicants must have major subject marks of A or B with the exception of one C on the most recent year-end report card.
- TEST SCORES: Both Reading and Math scores must be at or above the 88th percentile in standardized testing.
- WRITING SAMPLE: Students must submit a handwritten one page personal statement or reflection paper.
- Students must have exemplary attendance, punctuality, and behavior.
- Special needs students and English Language Learners are invited to apply to Central. Decisions are made through a team process.
- Only Students preparing to attend college should consider Central High School.
- Transfer students: To graduate from Central High School, you must attend at least two full years. Therefore, the latest you can start is 11th grade.
IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ADMISSION TO CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL YOU MUST SUBMIT AN ELECTRONIC APPLICATION, THROUGH THE SCHOOL SELECTION PROCESS, SCHOOL DISTRICT OF PHILADELPHIA WEBSITE STARTING SEPTEMBER 20, 2019. Click here http://schoolselect.philasd.org
- Ensure your application was submitted correctly, with all the items needed. YOU WILL NOT BE NOTIFIED if something is missing.
- Non District students should check e-mail for the confirmation receipt that the application went through (THIS DOES NOT MEAN AN APPROVAL/ACCEPTANCE – just that your application WAS RECEIVED).
Enrollment opens SEPTEMBER 20, 2019
Enrollment closes NOVEMBER 1, 2019 AT 5:00 PM
CURRENT SCHOOL DISTRICT STUDENTS
- District Students apply through their School Net Account. This is already linked to all their academic records, which includes grades, attendance, behavior and standardized test scores. When you fill out the application, everything tied to your account will be sent automatically. You will however be responsible for uploading an essay for Central High School.
- NOTE: If your student/child IS a District student this year, but was NOT a District student last year, he/she won’t be set up in the system. All required documents/academic records must be delivered electronically and/or paper copies sent directly to Central High School Admissions.
- All notifications will be displayed through the Student and Parent Portals, including school determinations (Approval, Disapproval and Waitlist).
CURRENT NON-DISTRICT STUDENTS not attending a School District of Philadelphia school at the time of application.
- Non-District Students have to submit an online application in addition to uploading all of the necessary records, in order to be considered. The application is through a different portal and you should be prepared with electronic copies of your academic records, which include Grades, Attendance, Behavior and Standardized Test Score Results.
- All notifications will be sent to the email address provided with the application including school determinations (Approval, Disapproval, Waitlist).
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR NON-DISTRICT STUDENTS
All support documents must be delivered electronically and/OR paper copies directly to Central High School for evaluation.
- The School District Student Data Transcript
- A copy of your child’s final report card from the 2018-2019 school year including attendance information.
- A copy of your child’s most recent standardized test scores. For example PSSA, TerraNova, ERB’s.
- A readable handwritten one page personal statement or reflection paper. Type if necessary.
- The chart below will help you know what grade information is necessary.
|Applying to 9th grade||Provide 7th grade academic and standardized test score information|
|Applying to 10th grade||Provide 8th grade academic and standardized test score information|
|Applying to 11th grade||Provide 9th grade academic and standardized test score information|