Central At A Glance
Mission & Approach to Learning:
To prepare each student for the rigors of higher education. Building upon the school’s diversity, we aim to prepare students to contribute and thrive in a heterogeneous world. We will enable students to develop problem-solving skills, a lifelong passion for learning, and aspirations to be thoughtful leaders of their generation.
Points of Pride:
- Central’s most recent graduating class (the 278th) earned over $23.6 million in scholarships, prizes and awards.
- 95% of our 100 professional staff hold a Master’s degree or higher.
- World renowned Music Department
- Science Research Team participated in 6 different national and local Science Fairs and brought home 81 awards.
- Art Department had over 20 students recognized for their talents, accomplishments, and outstanding leadership in the visual and performing arts.
- The only high school in the United States that can confer a Bachelor of Arts degree to graduates meeting requirements.
Courses & Program Highlights:
Dual Enrollment Programs:
LaSalle University and Temple University.
International Baccalaureate Program
Advanced Placement (AP) courses:
Studio Art, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Chinese Language & Culture, English Language
& Composition, English Literature & Composition, Environmental Science, European History, French Language & Culture, Government & Politics, Human Geography, Italian Language & Culture, Microeconomics, Music Theory, Physics 1, Physics 2, Physics C, Psychology, Seminar, Spanish Language & Culture, Statistics, U.S. History, World History
Arts activities and classes: Vocal music classes or ensemble; choir; instrumental music classes; jazz; orchestra; other instrumental classes; theater instruction; school plays; school musicals; visual arts instruction; film.
Foreign languages: Chinese, French, Italian, Latin, Spanish
• Measures for positive, safe learning: The school is committed to sustaining an environment free of harassment, bullying, and discrimination. It promotes a positive school culture that encourages interpersonal and intergroup respect among students and between students and staff.
2017-18 Central High School was awarded by the SDP the “City Leader” award for our SPR.
2016 Recognized as the Most Diverse Public High School in America by NICHE.com.
2014-2018 Chairman Award Winner in Robotics – World Championship Qualifier.
2013-2014 Governor’s Award for Excellence in Academics (Pennsylvania)
2011-2012 Blue Ribbon High School (only school in Commonwealth of Pennsylvania).
• Title I School of Excellence- Pennsylvania Dept. of Education School of Inspiration- College Board.
• National School of Secondary Excellence- U.S. Dept. of Education Newsweek magazine and U.S. News magazine recognition for all years in program.
Extensive club program includes at least 80 different interests, and students can pursue activities before and after school
• Extensive music and art program (traveling to many different countries, winning multiple awards) • Science research program • Creative writing opportunities, including yearbook, newspaper, Mirror and Mosaic literary magazines • Video • Drama • Debate • Mock trial • Departmental and student-supervised tutoring options • Class and schoolwide governmental activities
Parent involvement: Home & School Association, School Advisory Council
Boys’ sports: Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Indoor Track & Field, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Track & Field, Volleyball, Wrestling
Girls’ sports: Basketball, Cheerleading, Field Hockey, Golf, Indoor Track
& Field, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track & Field, Volleyball
• Albert Einstein Medical Center
• American Poetry Review
• Associated Alumni
• Fox Chase Cancer Center
• Home and School Association • Lantern Theater
• Student Voices